Tuesday 24 August 2010

Fall

We lean this far out of the window, smoking at some precarious angle.

Because of the babies:

"You can smoke roll-ups or spliff in the kitchen, but not filter cigarettes" says Aisha, with some accompanying authoritative gesture. Her brother narrows his eyes.

It's hot and the room is this thick soup of scent: babyshit and hairspray, milk sugar, dust and alcohol. Outside is still and heavy, this sick orange urban night. It's high, you'd think it would smell better. It doesn't. The smoke from the cigarettes seems like air-freshener, or something.

I breathe through my mouth.

Aisha's brother spits slowly thickly drips from his bottom lip; we watch it fall silent and eerie

Alex says:

"Would you survive  - I mean, if you jumped now - would you die, or just smash stuff up really bad?"

Aisha's flat is on the eleventh floor.

We lean out even further, look down speculatively.

(Our cigarettes are from Pakistan, we inhale and they crackle and fizz like a bonfire of Autumn leaves)

Aisha's brother looks up from the ground below.

"Try it" he says, seductively.

I like Alex, but for some fleeting moment I like the idea of him plummeting eleven floors onto a fucked up concrete courtyard a whole lot more.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, it is boring if I say it now after Gabriel said it just a few blogs earlier, but I love you. This is. How do you DO that? With so few words. Reading your stuff is like plugging my central nervous system directly into a wall socket. Boom. Everything lights up in pain and lust. That last sentence, I mean, amına kodum, but fuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm real pleased you left a comment for this. i cant reply proper cos i'm not home and this *borrowed* laptop is burning my legs.

    i spent a lot of time, in the past, trying to convince people to jump off stuff. i've stopped now, kind of.

    are you like - cussing at me in persian? i fucking hope so
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to disappoint you, but that was Turkish. Mind you, though, I learned cussing in Turkish in Berlin, not in Istanbul.

    "i spent a lot of time, in the past, trying to convince people to jump off stuff. i've stopped now, kind of." Why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know which bit that "why?" belongs to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both bits. Why did you and why did you stop? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. because the image of falling is so compelling I guess.maybe the idea of positioning myself so as receive the full impact of the fallers landing got me off or something? my own branch of vertigo is that where I get blasted with an overwhelming desire to plunge ... I don't know - it seemed very beautiful but kinda irresponsible? I'm not implying I'm enough mesmerising to have ever suceeded

    ReplyDelete