Monday 11 October 2010

Yellow

It's a sharp thing, sweet and sharp though - like the brittle lemon sunlight as it pierces your chest and and acid rinses your eyes. You try and walk across the room as if someone hadn't seen your cavities as a reasonable place to store their cache of broken glass and snapped off blades.

Somewhere private to catalogue your trophies.

When your stomach decides to show you what it was hiding it's an unexpected revelation. Slumped on the toilet like this, you make some feeble attempt to snap open your thighs and direct this sulphur stream between them. Mostly it just splatters across your knees, hot and bright. or drips thickly from your hair - luminous, golden, the yolk of some immense egg. Scorches and scrapes the back of your throat - like swallowing lit matches.

Shake your hand and there's a vibrant arc across the wall.

Then you're coughing - scratch and ugh - try to stifle it because something threatens to give. Whatever maintains the difference between inside and out seems feeble and compromised. A delicate blind of parchment or preserved human skin drawn tight over a bright window and the light fizzes out - like a cigarette on the slick, wet skin of your belly.

You retch again. Something insignificant splashes on the floor. Resting your cheek there you notice a few strands of radiant yellow hair caught beneath your fingernails.

8 comments:

  1. "Whatever maintains the difference between inside and out seems feeble and compromised."

    This is again one of those I don't understand, though I have no idea if it's just cuz I lack the experience necessary to place this. Has the character really swallowed glass and blades or is that a simile? The yellow hair in the end, is that the characters own, yellow with the bile, or is it part of some fur ball that has been caughed up?

    I get many intriguing images and ideas, from someone literally choking up jagged gass and metal, tearing himself to pieces (though it would be red, not yellow), or someone bulimic who's eaten something vomit-induding and yellow, some citrus cleaner perhaps, someone who has eaten the hair of his lover (either by sucking on it, or by eating the whole lover?) until he's left retching furballs, to someone badly drunk and hallucinating while he pukes on the toilet... but nothing really makes sense or leads anywhere...

    But that sentence I quoted above, man, I love that. As if the puking was somehow a metaphor for vomiting feelings - yellow? hope? jealousy? Or maybe because that is just so what it feels like after drinking too much, when exactly that line between yourself and the world is scarily blurry and vague, both biologically and emotionally...

    ReplyDelete
  2. just oh so fine and lurid and lush. takes a master to make puking and pissing sound so romantic and beautiful. you r the devil and i worship u.
    love,
    gabriel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both guys up there. Because i don't always understand what ur writing about but then some people taught me thatthere's no need to always understand just appreciate the beauty, and yeah, there's beauty in everyone of your words.

    I wrote you.I'm waiting.'ll be home for just one more hour if u wanna talk now but if u don't i will be waiting patiently.

    Love
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. freefox - I can't even begin to unpick that now - I think you see these layers of complexity and profundity that i didn't put there. it's about finding something good in the shit maybe? like the colour of hope - and stomach bile :)
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. gabriel
    the other way round, surely? you got the hot hooves. burns my tongue when i cyber lick em

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much Lou. yesterday didn't happen. i'm writing some other colours - maybe less oblique & uglier? i'm trying. m x

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Changeling: Tell me to shut up if my over-analysing makes you sick. ^_^
    @ Plexus: Puking and pissing sound aren't romantic and beautiful? Lol. Nah, you're right. Masterful.
    Seriously, I hope I didn't sound as if I didn't like it. It's just, well, we're here sort of to test out the writing, to get ideas and feedback and all, right? Leastaways that's sort of what I'm here for in part. Inspiration and feedback. So I figure, I try to think about the stuff that moves me and give back what happens in my brain as a reaction. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't bother to write anything at all, would I? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. no, i appreciate yr over-analysing very much just me explaining fucks up something or other? x

    ReplyDelete